Brown butter frosting I will never, ever, ever get sick of you.
You’re most magical trait is adding such richness and warmth to whatever you end up in.
Like this Banana Bread Cake. I have to be honest, I like this way, WAY more than I do banana bread. And let me tell you I have always been a fan of banana bread.
Ugh, I just can’t get over those BROWN BUTTA SPECS. just wow!
It’s the perfect breakfast treat or pick me up snack of the day. Or even your night bite of the evening.
We are all probably buying bananas and just not getting to them in time and then they end up so ripe. Because, lets be real, who isn’t just buying random things right now that are currently not on their grocery list or you just cant’t remember that you don’t need 10 bananas for 2 people, HA!
I mean just look at it. Who knew banana bread cake could look so dreamy.
Alright, lets turn those ripe bananas into this delicious treat!
Banana Bread Cake with Brown Butter Frosting
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3-4 Medium Ripe Bananas
- 5.3 Ounce Container Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter Softened (1 Stick of butter) at room temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
Brown Butter Frosting
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter (1 stick of butter)
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray your 9X13 baking dish or pan with a non stick cooking spray. I use either coconut oil or olive oil.
- Place your ripe bananas in a bowl and mash them up. Next in a separate bowl or in your stand mixer cream your butter and sugar together for about a minute. Add in your eggs and vanilla. Next add in your greek yogurt and mix until all are combined well. Now add in the bananas, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour your batter in and spread it evenly in the baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. I usually do the toothpick test at 30 minutes in to make sure its fully baked. If it comes out clean with some crumbs you are good to go.
- Brown Butter – Over medium heat in a sauté pan or cooking pot add your butter. Now this will happen quickly. The butter will start to melt and bubble. You will want to continuously and slowly whisk the butter around and watch for the color to brown. Now, this is where you need to watch your cooking time. The browning will happen about 3-5 minutes in. You'll also smell it too. Once this happens remove your butter from the heat and let it cool. Now that your butter has cooled combine the brown butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and 1/4 of your heavy whipping cream or milk In a bowl and using your hand held mixer whip it all together. If it’s s too thick add in some more milk to get it to a nice smooth consistency.
- When the banana bread cake is done remove from the oven and let It cool for 10-15 minutes. Spread the frosting on to the banana bread cake and let It sit for an hour or longer. This time will allow the frosting to slightly melt into the cake. It's the best part of this cake. Slice it up, serve it up and enjoy!
Bite, after bite. So much YUM!
Did you make this recipe? If so, be sure to tag me on Instagram http://www.instagram.com/rosieroamingorlando and use #RROrecipes & #RROkitchen